We dragged our luggage from our hotel to the bus parked outside the old town (the narrow cobblestone roads cannot accommodate buses), and started our journey towards Pamukkale with a
stop at a farmer's market along the way.
The tour guide encouraged us to buy items that we could eat at the picnic lunch planned for the afternoon. Mohamed and I finished looking through the stalls earlier than everyone else, so we went directly to the meeting point -- a pastry shop, where he ordered Turkish coffee and some desserts. I was still so full from breakfast that I actually refused to order/eat anything. Unlike me, I know! Upon arrival at our picnic spot, we supplemented the oranges and figs we bought from the farmer's market with hot food from the neighboring rest stop, and ate our lunch under the trees.
When we finally arrived at Pamukkale
Hierapolis Ancient City, I was blown away. I had never even heard of these amazing natural white calcium deposits, which looked exactly like snow (and therefore created cognitive dissonance for me because it was very hot and I was quite sweaty). We wandered through the
extensive necropolis and saw an exquisite sunset -- with the requisite local cat, of course.
At our hotel, a nice buffet dinner was waiting for us. I didn't see the hot
food around the corner until I had already loaded up my plate with cold salad options, but I didn't complain. I just got a second plate! The flaky flat bread was especially good; in fact, I even briefly considered another helping instead of dessert. Post-dinner, we walked to the brightly lit local market, where I found a mauve and pink scarf for my mom. Suddenly, the skies opened and fat raindrops descended on us. While we tried to find an overhang, the shopkeepers darted out to cover their wares and move as much inside as possible. When the rain slowed down to a drizzle, Mohamed and I made a mad dash for the hotel. I was happy to get back to our "honeymoon suite" (replete with a separate second bedroom that featured satin pillows). The location of our room was excellent: next to the
hot springs indoor pool that I, unfortunately, was too tired to soak in. Another great day and therefore night of deep sleep!